MARCOMM Inc. is currently looking to hire a Technical Content Writer o fill an opening in Rogers, MN. In this role, you will design, develop and write technical materials for products, such as equipment manuals, product support materials, and operating & maintenance instructions in accordance with company engineering standards. This documentation will be used in the sale, operation, training and repair of products.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Perform research and writing tasks in the development of technical manuals and product literature
- Organize material and complete writing assignment according to set standards regarding format, content, order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology as a member of a new product development team.
- Confer with customer representatives, vendors, engineering teams, and publishers to establish technical specifications and to determine subject material to be developed for publication.
- Observe production, developmental, and experimental activities to determine operating procedure and detail to ensure accuracy & quality.
- Study engineering drawings, parts lists, specifications, mock-ups, and product samples to accurately integrate and delineate technology, maintenance procedure, troubleshooting, and parts breakdown.
- Partner with an illustrator to create sketches to illustrate specified materials or assembly sequence.
- Select photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams, and charts to illustrate material that meets customer requirements.
- Audit published materials for functional accuracy by a hands-on procedure on the actual unit and recommend revisions or changes in scope, format, and content.
- Review published materials and recommend revisions or changes in scope, format, content, and methods of reproduction and binding.
- Edit, standardize, or make changes to material prepared by other writers.
- Coordinate with Marketing and Engineering, ensuring all parts listed in manuals or literature are saleable parts.
- Perform audits for ERP database pricing.
- Work independently to manage writing assignment projects in a manner that maximizes internal resources, stays within budget and meets project deadlines.
- Mentor and guide other technical writers and illustrators.
- Interview production and engineering personnel and read journals and other material to become familiar with product technologies and production methods.
- Review manufacturers and trade catalogs, drawings and other data relative to operation, maintenance, and service of equipment.
- Analyze developments in technical field to determine need for revisions in previously published materials and development of new material.
- Actively research & test new technologies, applications, and techniques to ensure continuous process improvement.
Direct and perform support activities such as:
– Analyzing and writing Engineering Change Orders for technical publication documents.
– Troubleshoot customer issues related to technical manuals and literature.
- Education/Certifications College degree or equivalent experience with a background in English and Communication
- Experience Minimum of 6 years’ experience in technical writing with demonstrated ability to independently produce high quality publications
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational, research and analytical skills
- Proven competency in computer skills along with software applications for writing manuals (e.g., FrameMaker, Word, Interleaf, Arbortext, PDM, ERP systems)
- Demonstrated project management skills in the areas of assessing, organizing, delegating and decision-making
- Demonstrated ability to assume initiative to take necessary actions to create technical manuals with minimal assistance
- Proven ability to lead writing assignments as a member of new product development teams
MARCOMM Inc. is a recruiting and staffing company headquartered in the Minneapolis. The types of Marketing, Interactive and Creative jobs we fill are dynamic, fun and always fast paced. We are committed to hiring the best-of-the-best talent available.